Thursday 8 October 2015

From Paper to E-Ink: One Month Later


One month ago, I gave in and went over to the dark side. I bought myself a Kobo Touch e-reader. AN extremely cute white one with a silver back.

Right now, the contents of it look something like this:
  • 14 Novels (Purchased)
  • 2 Novellas (Free)
  • 2 Writing-related books (Purchased)
  • A bunch of library books (Borrowed)
I never expected to love my Kobo as much as I do, which is a lot. I've had to make myself leave it at home when I go to classes so I don't spend the entire day reading.

That isn't to say that I've given up on physical books-- I've read 4 of them in the last month. But that's probably nothing compared to the 13 books (or 42 hours according the the reading stats) that I've read on my Kobo!

I was a little nervous about buying an e-reader because for a student like me, I couldn't really afford to spend so much money on something I might not even end up using, but I can now say that I don't regret the purchase a single bit!

Pros:
  • Very portable and pocketable-- I'm able to read on the go whenever I have a little bit of time, and I won't have to worry about pages/covers getting bent in my bag. Also, convenient for reading while traveling, especially when you're a fast reader like me.
  • Books by indie authors far more accessible-- I hate reading on my laptop/phone screen, and buying a paperback by an indie author wasn't always possible for me.
  • Occasional lower price makes me more willing to try out titles I wouldn't have bought otherwise.
  • Can borrow e-books from library, and no late return fees!  
Cons: 
  • No pretty book to display on my shelves.
  • Pretty book covers slightly less pretty in black and white.
  • Have to charge the e-reader (what if the power runs out at a cliffhanger?!)
  • It's not necessarily cheaper for some of the titles I want to read-- sometimes the ebook will cost around the same or more than a paperback. 
 So,  while I can say that I won't be making the move to 100% e-reading, a good chunk of my reading will probably be done on my Kobo, especially as I can borrow e-books from my library!

Do you prefer reading physical books, or on an e-reader?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Darcy Hsu. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.