Monday 28 September 2015

Bookish Wrap-up #1

I've Been Reading...



I've been reading a lot of Jeannie Lin lately-- I mean, I got to get my dose of Historical China fiction from somewhere right? While the Dragon and the Pearl wasn't my favourite of her books, it wasn't a bad book either. I wasn't able to connect with either main character, and found the ending a little rushed. 3 out of 5. 

These were both rereads for me. Tamora Pierce was one of my favourite authors as a kid, and I regularly get the urge to reread her books. I know that if I try to assign a rating to these books, it'll be through rose-tinted glasses so I shall refrain from doing so. Know that I will probably never get tired of rereading them though!


  • Sunbolt by Intisar Khanani (YA Fantasy)

Without a doubt one of the best stories I've read all year. It was short (at about 150 physical pages, I believe), but fast paced and exciting. I loved all the characters, I loved Hitomi, I was intrigued by Val, and I wanted to see more of everyone else. The book was a little slow to get started, and I only wish that it had been longer! I wrote a longer review which can be found on Goodreads.


Only 35 pages according to Goodreads, but every word really did count. I loved how Rae, the protagonist was a disabled girl, and how there were hints of how she was treated in society because of it. The magic system was extremely interesting, and the faerie wasn't a cardboard cutout. I wish there had been a bit more worldbuilding as hints given about the world beyond Rae's home made me want to know more, but I can't really fault the lack of it as the story was so short. 4.5 out of 5.


Midnight Thief was a solid read that I enjoyed. The worldbuilding was sparse, but I liked what I saw. The Demon Riders were interesting, and I loved James' personality! I found it hard to relate emotionally to either Kyra or Tristam and sometimes, I felt like what was happening around them was more interesting than what they were doing, especially with Tristam. 3.5 out of 5.

I expected to like Poison Dance more than I did, after all it was about James, the character I found most interesting in Midnight Thief. Unfortunately, it fell emotionally flat for me, and again, I wasn't able to relate to any character or even feel anything for them. 3 out of 5. 


I Want to Read...

  • Thorn by Intisar Khanani

I have a feeling that Intisar Khanani going to become one of my favourite authors, after reading Sunbolt and The Bone Knife. I loved both so much that I'm going to read Thorn (a retelling of the Goose Girl fairytale) as soon as I can purchase as a copy for my Kobo!


This has been sitting on my Kobo for far too long. I remember a lot of hype over this book, so hopefully I can get to it this week and see what it's all about!


I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but look at it. Wow. I've read good reviews and the synopsis looks intriguing, so I'm super excited to start reading!



What have you been reading lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Darcy Hsu. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.